Friday, March 7, 2014

Confused About Twinchies?

There are still several sets of twinchies I want to share with you. Fifty-four of us are swapping these little two-inch pieces of art and - as you can well imagine - it is hard to make a little two inch piece of paper become spectacular. You don't have a whole lot of room to work with in two inches. (There are a whole world of people who make inchies - I couldn't even imagine. Haha! Good for them, I say!)
So. Where did I start? 

Where do I many times start? 

I can hear Nancy Wigley chiming in here - I start with Dylusions Ink Sprays.
 
Yes, I do know there is other product on the market but why go there when I get these bright, luscious, beautiful colors with Dylusions? Seriously. 

When I am working on projects I save any scraps of paper in a ziploc bag and add to it as I go. There is always a scrap bag on my work table. (It's usually buried, but it's there.) Twinchies are a great way to use up some of that scrap. Some of the pieces I used already had color on them. (I don't waste scraps with pretty color on them. I horde, uh, save them.) For the ones that didn't - I spritzed water onto the pieces, followed by spritzes of a couple different colors of dylusions. Then you just let it all sit for about 10-15 seconds and watch those colors blend. A paper towel blotted to the paper surface will stop that mixing/blending action.
Remember - if your color is too dark when it is dry or almost dry - you can lighten it up with another spritz of water. Dylusions are not color fast. They will start reacting again when you add 'wet' product - be that water or another color. 

You will notice some of the tiles above have designs on them. Take your dry colored tile, lay a stencil over the top, hold it in place, and spritz water over the top of the stencil. Let it sit for 5-10 seconds, then carefully lift the stencil and watch the color lifting start to work. After about 15 more seconds, blot the tile with a paper towel - and continue to watch that color lift leaving behind the design of whatever stencil you used. Remember - dylusions inks are not water fast, they react with wet product. So take advantage of that and make it work to your benefit.
Since I am a tangler - I went back and added various tangle patterns to the tiles. Some are more elaborate than others. This wasn't one of them :). I loved the little fish and how well he turned out. (He came from a stencil.) I went simpler and just added tangle bubbles to his water, leaving the fish to be the focus of this twinchie. There are so many things you can do! So - save your scraps (or hack up a big sheet and have fun!) and get to making some twinchie awesomeness! Cause it's fun!

4 comments:

  1. Hey Alice......I love your twinchies - they are great!! And of course, I love the color on the paper - when I cut mine I had some small squares and I have them "saved" someplace - LOL!! Just need to find that safe place now!! I got a great new stencils that I need to use - will show you how it turns out!! I love the colors of the dylusions and how they change when mixed together - soooo much fun!! Thanks for sharing!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. nancy, i'm going to be setting up a facebook group very soon - still trying to think of a focus, maybe i don't need one - and you'll be able to post photos easier there than you can on the current page :)

      Delete
  2. A wonderful tutorial - fascinating to read of your process & what can be done with those Dylusions inks. I can see that at some stage I shall have indulge (well perhaps I will NEED them??). In the meantime I'm learning heaps about what to do with them.
    Paula (PEP)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. paula, when you do start with your dylusions, get 2 or 3 colors that you like and think will work well together. try those first and see what you think. my go-to colors seem to be fresh lime and bubblegum pink :)

      Delete

I have been waiting to hear from you :).